Sunday, March 10, 2013

unexpected race

I debated for a few weeks over whether to participate in the Chamberlain March 1/2 marathon or the 5K. I sent in my registration for the shorter race a few weeks back, knowing that I hadn't really done the distance runs necessary, only one 10 miler last weekend. But when I got to the Brewer Armory my running bud Dave only had to twist my arm a little to get me to switch races. He promised 8-8:30/min miles and I thought I could handle that. We started off running together for 2 miles or so, but then I slowly pulled away on the downhills and just kept clicking up 8 minutes at every mile marker. I beat my previous PR by 5 minutes and won not only a box of whoopie pies, but a Road ID gift certificate as a door prize. The compitition in my age bracket is fierce this year, I only came in 3rd, but with my new weekly program including lifting weights and speed workouts, I think I'll do okay. 

No comments: