Tuesday, January 22, 2013

insulated immune systems?

I don't know if it is because we now live in a very cold climate or because the big kids now spend the majority of each day in overheated rooms with many other children, but my kids have been sick more this winter than any other. Just like a brand-new teacher has 10 times as many colds that first year teaching and develops immunity over time, my brood has been immersed in a germ-filled world for the first time and it seems that every week one of them is sick. Mary now has the flu, despite receiving the vaccine, and will stay home today. 

In homeschooling the child just picks up where he left off and is usually able to do some small amount of work, even if it is just listening to Mommy read a biography aloud, but in away school, a sick day means making up missed work, which is sometimes a daunting task, especially when recovering from illness. With one of my feet in away school and the other in homeschooling, I don't know if I get to experience the best of both worlds or the worst.

No comments: