Thursday, January 31, 2013

book of the quarter

I read a lot, and I mean that I frequent several local libraries and take out stacks of books to read each evening. But most of what I read is okay, not extraordinary. However, I came across Romancing Miss Bronte, a fictionalized account of the life of Charlotte Bronte, by Juliet Gael that blew my socks off. 

Yeah, I've read Jane Eyre several times and was impressed by the writing and the story, but I didn't know anything about the Bronte sisters themselves (I got kicked out of Honors English in 8th grade for not being able to enjoy/comprehend Silas Marner, a truly boring book that put me off of classics for 20 years). Ms. Gael has done a remarkable job of turning Miss Bronte into a real person, not just a long dead writer. 

I highly recommend this one for a long sit down with a bag of Pepperidge Farm Mint Milano cookies beside you and a cup of steaming tea on the side table. It is a long novel, so you will need sustenance, but well worth the effort and all those extra calories from the cookies. 
 

No comments: