Wednesday, August 25, 2010

the perfect day

It is starting to get cool here in Maine with temps now in the mid-70's so I pulled out a pair of size 10 jeans yesterday before walking out to the garden. The waistband slid down to my hips, making me look like the Saggy Baggy Elephant. Apparently, running 5 miles a day has not resulted in any weight loss, but a redistribution of sorts. So, while the big kids were at their first piano lesson in almost a month, the little ones and I hot-footed it up to the Goodwill in Bangor where I scored 2 pairs of jeans that actually stayed around my waist. Serendipitously, they sported yellow tags, which meant my purchase was 50% off.

We had plenty of time to swing by the commissary and replenish our milk stock before pulling up in front of the piano teacher's house. I was surprised by her commenting on how well the children had played, especially Mary (who goes in my bedroom and shuts the door to practice, making me wonder if she is touching any of the keys at all).

To reward everyone, we hit the road for Craig Pond and had the entire place to ourselves for much of the afternoon. It was the most relaxing trip to the beach I have had in years with the little children happy to play in the shallows and the older children swimming together out to the rocks and not bickering.


To top off my idea of the ideal summer day in Maine, the children all bathed and brushed their teeth without too much complaining and I was able to close my eyes by 9pm grateful for my children, my husband, and all blessings I have been given.   

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The picture looks like they are having a lot of fun. Glad you had a good day!