Sunday, April 04, 2010

ooooh, what a day

So, on Easter Sunday morning at 7:30 as we are heading to Mass, my phone rings and I wonder, Who could that be?" since the only person who calls my cell is sitting next to me in the van. Of course it is bad news, my grandmother is calling from 4 hours away and saying, "I can't move my legs, I can't get out of bed." Well, what on earth am I supposed to do? She has someone coming in less than 15 minutes and I pray for her all through Mass. Afterwards, after several phone calls to my aunties I finish packing and hit the road. Luckily nothing is wrong with Grandmother other than severe dehydration and a slight infection- no stroke of which, Sharon, the NICU nurse who comes every morning was suspicious. So, after a good dinner and few glasses of wine we are all settled in and getting ready for a cozy evening.

Poor Tim is right now getting the boys in the bed, saying prayers with the older children and threatening them with violence if they don't turn off the light. I left one day's worth of schoolwork for him to complete with the older children, hopefully they won't give him too hard a time of it. Hopefully also Julia Ellen won't make a repeat of last night where she woke at 10pm demanding to be nursed. She is 13 months old and should be able to do without Mommy for a few nights, but...

Why is it that he can go away for weeks at a time and supposes that everything will proceed normally and I have been away from home for less than 12 hours and have to pray that the children will still have all their digits when I get back? Mommyhood is one big worry session and it doesn't stop when the children turn 18 or move out. I can see my grandmother looking at her two remaining daughters and see the concern on her face. It has finally hit me the truth of the quote by Elisabeth Stone, "Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." For the rest of my life I am certain I will wish for this day, one in which all of my children are at home, safe, and healthy.

No comments: