Sunday, February 14, 2010

cleanup

On Friday Tim went back to work and I was determined to get a path cleared to our front door and mailbox. Tom, our mailman, slithered in between the bushes and the house to get our mail delivered on Thursday (the first delivery of the week), but it wasn't fair to expect him to continue to do that. He is the most cheerful, friendly mailman I have ever met and with all the extra walking he was to do these days (not being able to cut through yards), I didn't mind creating a path for him. 20 feet of packed snow, 23" high, is a lot of work to shovel so after a couple of sessions during nap times I managed to get it finished.


But there was a price (other than my sore biceps). My boots are completely trashed. I have found that duck boots are one thing I shouldn't buy at the thrift store. So far we have had 2 pairs undergo the same problem, they look fine in the store, but once they are exposed to freezing cold the rubber dries out and cracks.


3 comments:

Karen said...

LL Bean! Lifetime guarantee/replacement!

dstb said...

They are not LLBean duck boots are they? If so, you could return them and they would replace the bottom part.

I have never seen that happen to boots before. Maybe when you move to the cold, white north, you'll be able to find some boots that can handle the, um, cold white north!

And I know you probably don't want to hear it, but I am telling you, buy some snow tires. While you guys were getting hammered the last two snowstorms, we got 2 inches! My kids are already telling me that I can't put the tires on next winter.
Sarah

kat said...

Unfortunately they are not LL Bean boots, but I will have to remember that when I buy some replacements this summer. I want to buy a pair of boots that will last through muck and mud, snow and rain!