Saturday, October 17, 2009

you're asking me if you should get jabbed?

I have had several friends email, knowing Tim's interest in medical ethics and immunizations including the flu, asking if they or their children should get the swine flu vaccine. As a homeschooling family who doesn't come in contact with thousands of potentially sick children on a daily basis, we are going to skip the shot. I don't feel comfortable giving medical advice to others. I'm not their doctor and I don't want the guilt if they decide not to get it based on something I've said and then they are hospitalized with H1N1 in the future. I did think this article from CBS interesting since my friend Jennifer mentioned that her cousin, a New York nurse had her resignation papers at the ready over this issue.

Health care workers in New York will no longer be forced to get the H1N1 swine flu vaccine, CBS 2 has learned. A state Supreme Court judge issued a restraining order Friday against the state from enforcing the controversial mandatory vaccination. The order came as the Public Employees Federation sued to reverse a policy requiring vaccination against the seasonal and swine flu viruses, arguing that state Health Commissioner Richard Daines overstepped his authority....for now the vaccination for nurses, doctors, aides, and non-medical staff members who might be in a patient's room will remain voluntary. The health department had said the workers must be vaccinated by November 30 or face possible disciplinary action, including dismissal.

New York was the first state in the country to initially mandate flu vaccinations for its health care workers, but many health care workers quickly protested against the ruling. In Hauppauge, workers outside a local clinic screamed "No forced shots!" when the mandate came down at the end of September.

In 1976, there were some deaths associated with a swine flu vaccination. Registered nurse Frank Mannino, 50, was also angry. He said the state regulation violates his personal freedom and civil rights. "And now I will lose my job if I don't take the regular flu shot or the swine flu shot." When asked if he's willing to lose his job, Mannino said, "Absolutely. I will not take it, will not be forced. This is still America." The protest also shook Albany. Hundreds of demonstrators demanded freedom of choice.

There is also a strong resistance to the vaccine from the general public. A new Harvard University poll shows that only four in 10 adults intend to take the vaccine themselves, and only six in 10 plan to give it to their children.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I had planned on getting myself and my kids flu/swine flu vaccinated to the hilt. However, when I spoke with a nurse friend of mine (whose husband is a pediatrician), they aren't doing the swine flu vaccination because it seems to be moving North and the worst appears to be over already here in the South. Our pediatrician pretty much says the same thing. I still haven't gotten the kids their flu shots, and I don't know if I will. Not because I'm anti-vaccinations - I'm not - but there are so many (regular) flu cases around here that the doctor's office is packed and our pediatrician's nurse said they couldn't even work us in until sometime in November. I guess I could take 'em to Walgreens or something.

If I lived up North, I might feel differently.

MilitantMom said...

I agree with you Kat, though I don't blame those who eagerly anticipate getting the shot, like a Navy-wife friend who is pregnant and whose husband won't let her leave the house for fear of contracting H1N1. She can't wait to get the vaccine so she can lead a normal life once again.

As for me and my house, which has already seen at least 2 kids sick with some sort of flu, we shall abstain.

Foxfier said...

I keep in mind that H1N1 has actually had a far _lower_ death rate than usual flu, and pass....

Of course, I never got a flu shot before I joined the Navy, and never got the flu before the Navy.

(Pretty dang impressive when flu can show up on a ship that has only had a half-dozen people as an possible infection vector for the last two months....)