Thursday, September 10, 2009

think then post

Yes, I have heard umpteen times that emails can be easily misconstrued and feelings get hurt. Sarcasm doesn't read well on blog comments and typos can simply be that and not poor spelling. But then I blazed into the Seton Yahoo group board with 1 beer under my belt and misread some one's question and let her have it.

Like many homeschoolers, I take my children's education seriously and assume that others who teach their own do the same. I don't like slackers who show up on-line or on Oprah saying, "Well we homeschool, but our 14 year old can't quite read yet. Our 16 year old has never studied history or spelling. We just didn't get around to teaching our 11 year old any math. But we ARE homeschooling." Sorry, that is NOT homeschooling, but a plan for having your children live in your basement for the next 40 years because they can't function in society or be employable. So when a new homeschooling mom with a 7th and 8th grader described how they were sooo far behind and they were just finishing up the 1st quarter's work, I misunderstood and thought she had taken over a year to get 9 weeks worth of work completed. Then I proceeded to say some not nice things. Only after I hit "send" and go out for an evening stroll with the kids did I realize my error. She said they started school in March, not that they were supposed to finish this past March. (I guess if you are saying, "What's it to you? you would be right as well.)

I did get up early this morning and post an apology, not even reading the other comments for fear of flames. However, the damage has been done. I hope that I haven't killed her desire to share her problems and concerns in what is supposed to be a supportive environment. For homeschoolers need more kindness and assistance from each other since we are usually slogging it out in relative solitude. While the internet has been a wonderful thing in terms of finding like-minded souls, it is easy to be mean because the person we are writing is not sitting in front of us. So, I again say that I am sorry and promise to think twice before I post.

1 comment:

Maurisa said...

Wow, gutsy post!

Good for you, apologizing, and all. I don't blame you for not wanting to read the other comments. It probably felt bad enough just knowing what you had done.

It's so much like sticking your foot in your mouth, but the words are there for SO. MUCH.LONGER! I'm sure it's a lesson you'd rather not have learned first hand.