Saturday, September 12, 2009

lords and ladies

Saturday morning found our little clan driving to Fort Knox, a granite citadel situated on the Penobscot River. I had clipped an article from the local paper proclaiming that this weekend the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) was putting on its 8th annual Medieval Faire and after comparing the entertainment alternatives (an antique car show or staying home), decided to attend.



Maggie surprised us all by her prowess at the cross bow.





Will and Mary were fascinated by the sword fighting.




Julia Ellen fell asleep listening to Old English drinking songs.

Of course the girls were entranced by the costumes and hounded me until I relented and said I would look into making them some costumes (they could double as All Saints garb) for next year's Faire. Yes, the displays of garb, herbs, and crafts were all very lovely, but the children's favorite thing to do was take their flashlights into the dark corners of the Fort and scare each other to death. I'm not so sure I got a lot of educational value for my $17, but they did all go to bed before 8pm, the worn out little buggers.

No comments: