Monday, September 07, 2009

2nd anniversary

Today is the second anniversary of my mother's death from ovarian cancer. I had a Mass said for her yesterday (thank you Tim for taking care of it) at our parish in Maryland. I must call my grandmother and stepfather and share in our feelings of grief at losing the center of our family. Mother was the person that kept everyone connected. I often want to tell her what the children are up to, our plans of raising sheep (she was a master knitter), and the latest family gossip. I miss her fiercely.

September is National Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month and I urge you to aquaint yourselves and your mothers with the subtle symptoms of this disease.

If the following symptoms occur almost daily for more than two weeks, the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance advises that women see a gynecologist. These symptoms include:

• Bloating
• Pelvic or abdominal pain
• Difficulty eating or feeling full quickly
• Urinary symptoms (urgency or frequency)

There is no definitive test for ovarian cancer so experts suggest a combination of pelvic/rectal exam, a CA-125 blood test and a transvaginal ultrasound.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

I just offered a Hail Mary for her. May she rest in peace. (hugs)

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry about your mom. I can only imagine how difficult it must be without her.

Thank you for spreading the word about ovarian cancer symptoms. I hope its awareness will increase to the level of breast cancer.

Kristina said...

My stepmother passed away last month following Ovarian cancer and finally liver cancer diagnoses. She was a bright and beautiful woman and I miss her daily.

I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing awareness.