Monday, August 10, 2009

where is Mary??

I forgot my kid. I didn’t lose her, I just forgot about poor Mary in the locker room at the pool while we were on the playground across the parking lot. There she was sitting on the bench in her underpants and t-shirt while I had her shorts in my purse. I tried to give them to her after her swimming lesson but all I got was, “I can’t take them, I’m all wet.” So, for 30 minutes she felt alone and abandoned until I called everyone to get in the van and realized that I hadn’t seen her outside. I should tell her to not feel bad, both my parents forgot my baby brother once, only realizing ½ mile down the road that he was still back in the house.

I am constantly counting heads when we are out, “Do we have everyone we came with? No extras?”

All is well, I gave Mary the privilege of choosing the pasta for naked spaghetti (or should I say naked macaroni?) tonight. I’m forgiven and perhaps she will take more responsibility for her own things next time we go to the pool.

2 comments:

Sharon said...

Don't worry; I left my youngest son at home one day a couple of summers ago on a trip to the grocery store. We got all the way to the store before I realized he wasn't in the van with us. (Why his brothers didn't notice he was missing is a mystery.) I rushed home to find him happily playing in the yard. He hadn't even noticed we were gone.

Nichole "Nikki" Warren said...

So glad that your DD was okay in the end. Every mother has done that at least once, I know I've done it!

Of course it always harder when they can share with you how that made them feel... a baby in a car seat waiting to get in the car, isn't going to remember much :)

I didn't go far just out the driveway, as soon as I pulled out of the drive, I pulled back in realizing what I've done.