Saturday, June 06, 2009

economic difficulties

This week I have been told of 5 people who have lost their job in the past few weeks, 4 homeschooling dads and a single mom. Things are getting bad out there and likely to get worse. The worse places to be financially are Michigan and California, according to the National Stress Index up at AP. With unemployment at 9.5%, even folks who have steady jobs are asking themselves, "What would/could I do if I lost my job?"

It is more important than ever to be aware of every dollar going out the door and asking, "Do I really need to buy this product or service?" Something that I have been doing lately is finding school supplies at the thrift shop rather than hitting Office Depot. I wouldn't be able to find these deals in Maine since folks up there epitomize the stereotypical Yankee spendthrift, but down here in wasteful government spending land I can find pens, pencils, rulers, index cards, binders, notepads, preschool workbooks, storage baskets, flashcards, maps, and drawing pads for next to nothing.

In the book Cheaper By the Dozen the father made the children listen to French records while they were brushing their teeth. Copying his method of instruction I've hung calender pages of Leonardo da Vinci paintings in the upstairs bathroom, a poster of the Sistine Chapel ceiling on the back of the half bath door, and a topographic map of the United States in the basement bathroom next to the potty. I figure I shouldn't restrict their time in the bathroom, but I sure can make it educational.

2 comments:

Karen said...

wait til you see all the second hand/junk/thrift "stores" popping up all over the place up here! there are 4 new ones within a 3 mile radius of my house!

Barbara Frank said...

My husband has been out of work since his mfg.-related business died two years ago. My sister (single mom) has been unemployed for well over a year. We're fortunate that we've known how to keep expenses down ever since we were married. But she's having a rough time adjusting to living frugally after years of living large.

You're wise to cut back and watch expenses now. I'm glad I taught my children how to do so!