Friday, February 20, 2009

bye bye classic books

One of my favorite things to do has been collecting children's books, finding them at thrift stores, used book stores, and vendors such as Keller Books at homeschool conferences. We have 9 bookshelves of various sizes chock-full, so no child could ever say, "I don't have ANYTHING to read!"

However, the new CPSIA law which was rushed through Congress with no thought as to consequences (boy, does that sound familiar), outlaws the reselling (and possibly checking out from the library) children's books published prior to 1986 due to the possibility of lead in the print. I can tell you that my children read books, listen to books, and look at books, but they do not eat them. This is the most up-to-date statement from the agency:
Table C: Commonly Resold Children’s Products and Materials

Recalled Products
Illegal to sell ANY recalled product (for adults as well as children). Before taking into inventory or selling a product, check the CPSC Web site for dangerous recalled products including cribs, play yards, strollers, high chairs, toys with magnets, toys that are choking hazards, and other products.

Books – “ordinary” children’s titles e.g. paperbacks and hardbacks
OK to sell, if printed after 1985

Cheap children’s metal jewelry
Best to test, contact the manufacturer, or not sell

Unpainted/untreated wood toys
OK to sell

Painted wooden or metal toys
Best to test, contact the manufacturer, or not sell

Toys with soft plastic that are made for infants
Should be OK to sell if made for sale after February 10, 2009. If older (or if the date of manufacture is unknown) check with manufacturer or do not sell

Dyed or undyed children’s clothing made from natural, untreated cotton, silk, wool, hemp, flax, linen, and other untreated natural materials including coral, amber, feathers, fur and leather
OK to sell

Clothes with rhinestones, metal or vinyl snaps, zippers, closures or appliqués.
Best to test, contact the manufacturer, or not sell

Surgical steel; precious metals such as gold (at least 10 karat) and sterling silver (at least 925/1000); precious and semiprecious gemstones (excluding a list of stones that are associated in nature with lead); natural or cultured pearls
OK to sell

Toys that are easily breakable into small parts including dolls and stuffed toys that have eyes, noses or other small parts that are not securely fastened
Best not to sell (for children under 3); could present a choking hazard

Here are some of my favorites from our vast shelves that are now illegal to purchase:







It seems absurd in this age when we are supposedly trying to encourage children to read and get a good education to require that the only reasonably priced books for children must be thrown away because of some infinitesimal risk of a child licking the pages. Shame on our legislators for throwing out the baby with the bathwater in their efforts to "protect the children."

I just found this fantastic Dr. Seuss style story about the CPSIA, it might just make you laugh and cry.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Then I'm in big trouble - I don't think we own any books written after 1986! I have found so many really boy-ish books for my guys that were written in the 60's or earlier - books with heroes and courage and fishing and fighting and honor and horses (to name just a few elements)....so now the copyright date is one of the first things I check when one of my boys wants to read a new book. It's no guarantee, but it usually means at least there is a level of innocence not found in todays books.

My MOL gave me a book for my son to read when he was in 4th grade that seemed OK on the surface. It was a survival story about a boy who was in a plane crash who had to fend for himself until help finally came (name: Hatchett - 1987?). Something told me to look it over. It turns out the boy was seething with rage at his mother because he had seen her kissing a man other than his father! Hello?! After I got rid of the book (he never even saw it), to my chagrin his 4th grade public school teacher gave it to him to read in class, so he read it anyway. And that was one of the last nails in the coffin of public school for us. We now homeschool.

In short, I need old books!

Sorry for ranting. Good luck with the baby :) and God bless you all.

kat said...

I read Hatchet a few weeks ago when I was desperate for something to read and couldn't get to the library. While I like the survival aspect (think My Side of the Mountain in Alaska), I didn't like the parents divorced/kid having to travel alone for visitation part. I decided that it wasn't going to be read by any of the kids anytime soon, so we started on Farmer Boy as a read-aloud. Will has been reading ahead, a sure sign of a good book! (our copy of Farmer Boy sold for $0.95, a sure sign that it is pre-1986)

Anonymous said...

Farmer Boy - loved it. Don't forget The Big Winter.

We are reading aloud Robin Hood and loving it. It's quite humorous - Robin et al love a good archery tournament or a fight with quarter staffs (or saplings if no quarter staffs are available!). My English accent is atrocious but the kids don't seem to mind. I always look for excuses to do my cockney accent, which is HORRIBLE (but fun to do).

jugglingpaynes said...

The CPSIA has been affecting us in many areas of our life. I went to a local Goodwill last week and they had a huge sign out front about what they will no longer accept. While I was there, a man came in with a Thomas the Tank Engine toy chest in fantastic condition and was told they couldn't accept it. Many of my crafter friends are also affected. It seems everyone was so proud of themselves for passing this act "for the children" no one (except Ron Paul, I believe) bothered to actually read the darn thing and consider the implications.

And suddenly there is another area of my life where I must be a rebel, because I'm going to save as many children's books as I can!

Anonymous said...

I think the danger of lead is also exaggerated. The amounts in these books must be ridiculously small. The book "Scared to Death" by British authors Booker and North has a chapter on the lead scare. Even the introduction of unleaded fuel didn´t make much of a difference to our health.