Friday, January 30, 2009

the bad, bad Tooth Fairy

After the first few children have gone through the ritual of putting their baby teeth under their pillows and receiving cash, I admit that this time around my excitement has faded. (maybe it has something to do with knowing the cost of orthodonture for 6 children) While I should be thrilled that Maggie lost her first tooth, I was just too tired to remember to sneak into her room for the switch.

The next morning a very disappointed little girl said, "I tried to stay up all night to catch the Tooth Fairy, but she never came!" I escaped parental purgatory by pointing out that her ziplock baggie wasn't under her pillow, but on Mary's bed so how could the Tooth Fairy be expected to find it? However, during the course of the day the clear baggie disappeared (much like a certain alligator, could we have Borrowers in the house?) and Tim told her, "No tooth, no money."

But little Maggie was determined indeed, she wiggled her other bottom front tooth and dashed into my room at 9pm Wednesday night, "I lost the other tooth!" You can just guess... I forgot again!

Thursday morning we put the little pearl in a special wooden box and Maggie made a Kleenex bed for it to stay safe. We also wrote this short letter to the Tooth Fairy explaining all that had happened.

Luckily, this poor excuse for a Mommy Extraordinaire remembered long enough to slip that $2 under Maggie's pillow and enclose my own note.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aw! I, too, used the excuses "Was it under your pillow?" (nope, it was on the dresser!) "Maybe she had a lot of stops to make..." And then would give them a half dollar coin or a silver dollar coin the next night. I also have, in the past, slipped the money in there under the pillow and grabbed the tooth when I went to wake them in the morning! :-) I think the tooth fairy is only human!