Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Guns were the topic of conversation...

in the van on the way to my ultrasound a few weeks back. I told Tim that, even though I have only shot a rifle once, I want to buy something powerful like a Glock to protect our family. Tim said that Obama couldn't possibly inact a gun ban within a month or so of inaguration and I need to take a gun safety class. "But I need a gun to take to the class," I whined. "They have guns you can borrow to try them out and see what works best for you. But you need to wait until after Baby Sunshine is born because of the noise," was his calm reply.

So Tim has signed up for the class since even though he has a marksman ribbon on his uniform, he hasn't fired a gun in 15 years either.

Gun sellers say the election of Barack Obama is helping them avoid the recession. Sales of new guns are booming - up an estimated 50 percent in the suburbs.

... the gun lobby spent big trying to defeat Obama this year, outraged by his promise to reinstate a ban on military-style assault weapons. On talk radio, he was denounced as a "gun grabber." Now, as Obama heads to the White House, millions are rushing to reload.

After all this hype, Obama is telling people they don't need to worry, but once again his record and his words don't lead me to trust him.

As gun sales shoot up around the country, President-elect Barack Obama said Sunday that gun-owning Americans do not need to rush out and stock up before he is sworn in next month.
"I believe in common-sense gun safety laws, and I believe in the second amendment," Obama said at a news conference. "Lawful gun owners have nothing to fear. I said that throughout the campaign. I haven't indicated anything different during the transition. I think people can take me at my word."


But National Rifle Association spokesman Andrew Arulanandam said it's not Obama's words — but his legislative track record — that has gun-buyers flocking to the stores.

"Prior to his campaign for president, his record as a state legislator and as a U.S. Senator shows he voted for the most stringent forms of gun control, the most Draconian legislation, gun bans, ammunition bans and even an increase in federal excise taxes up to 500 percent for every gun and firearm sold," Arulanandam said.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Last Friday I (and all six kids) went to a gun shop and bought a pump action shotgun for Bill for Christmas...actually, I'll give it to him on the Feast of the Holy Family (the 28th), because he said it was really a "family" gift. I can't buy a handgun, because I'm a FL resident. I think Bill could with his mil ID, though.

I have to admit that the sound of the pump action was thrilling. I suppose after the new year, I'll have to learn to use it.

Bill's a big advocate of shotguns for home defense. The bullets won't go through walls and hurt an innocent person on the other side (sleeping child).

Karen said...

We have a couple rifles (and a bb gun, lol) and the kids are learning to shoot.

Graubo said...

I am from the disgraced Land of Lincoln. Good riddance for the Governor and hopefully things will "change" for the better in my home state. Who knows just how far this investigation will reach. Chicago politics stink for us that do not live up in that corner. That being said, I had about the same sentiments of buying a gun when Obama was elected. I have actually been Christmas shopping for myself in this regard. Three years ago my family and I moved out to a farm. My father-in-law said that I should have something for protection. He gave me two shotguns. His 1st argument for them was that if there happened to be a threatening or sick varment (animal), it would be hard to miss. His 2nd argument for them was that if there happened to be a threatening and sick varment (human), it would be hard to miss. He then proceeded to quote statistics about break-ins where the homeowner used a handgun, even at short range, and missed. Just a thought you may want to consider.

Peace, Graubo

Foxfier said...

Can I put another word forward for shotguns?

The sound alone works very, very well.

Investing in "we support the second amendment" signs might work, too.