Saturday, September 06, 2008

the food wars return

My children are picky eaters I admit, but they get it all from their father. The only member of his family to eat vegetables is his younger sister who fell in love with a vegetarian. Tim will eat small quantities of asparagus or green beans when it is socially required, but I don’t think a lettuce leaf has ever touched his lips.

I don’t mind the kids not liking bratwurst or cabbage soup, borscht or scrapple, pickles or olives; foods on my list of things I don’t care for, but my kids turn up their noses at cheeseburgers and luncheon meat, at rice and mashed potatoes, at eggs and oatmeal. It has become unbearable for me because when I cheerfully call out, “Lunch!” I will hear, “No peanut butter on Charlie’s, only apple jelly for Will…”

“Enough,” I say, “with your father still in Maryland, you will eat what is put in front of you or starve!”

Tuesday’s meals: oatmeal, Lunchables (I got Wasses hotdogs with chili and cheese, yum!), and blueberries and peas.
Wednesday’s meals: scrambled eggs, naked spaghetti with lots of Parmesan cheese, and corn and blueberries.
Thursday’s meals: scrambled eggs and bacon, grilled ham and cheese sandwiches, and pasta with meat sauce.
Friday's meals: french toast, ramen noodles, and cheese tacos

So far several of the kids have found to their amazement that they actually like the food that I have forced on them. Maggie is the most stubborn of the lot, I recall 3 years ago trying to wean her off baby food and having her go 5 days without eating more than a tablespoon of nutrition.
I have to get them to learn to eat more things than just fruit, dairy, and grains- they need protein to grow and veggies for the vitamins. They just have to be able to eat with other people in their homes and restaurants, and I need to be able to cook just one thing per meal, not 3 separate orders. I am a mommy, not a short order cook. I need to encourage myself to keep strong and not fall back on mac and cheese or cereal because I know they will eat it. On Saturday we will try something exotic after our trip to the big city and stop by the truck stop for cheeseburgers.

One day the children will say, “Gosh Mommy, this meal is really tasty. I’m so sorry I gave you such a hard time at the dinner table all those years.” I’m just not holding my breath it will happen with all of them this week.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

This is one thing worth fighting for, Kat. Victory can be yours, if you persevere. And the truth is, they will be happier. Food should be a pleasure, not a torture. The taste buds must be expanded, or they will forever be picky and miserable!

But, yes, the battle will go on for a loooong time. You win it just one food at a time.

MentalMom said...

Keep fighting the good fight Katherine! I promise it will pay off eventually.
My oldest, now 15, used to utter, "I don't yike dat!" at almost every meal until she was 6..then it became the more polite but equally exasperating, "I don't care for that." :D
I have equally picky boys, one with sensory issues. I've just kept plugging along making dinner, hundreds of times and lo and behold they DO eat new foods and foods they wouldn't eat before.
Dd is quite the adventurous eater now. She loves Asian food, curry, will try just about anything, eats all 'normal' food. It's a dream come true! Even my autistic son who has had huge issues with textures has broadened his culinary horizons. My oldest son, while still picky, has matured enough that he will/can eat something he doesn't like in a pinch (ie when not at home), he still chooses to 'boycott' meals sometimes at home but at 14 he is old enough to choose to go hungry.
My current little ones are much better eaters than their older siblings were, I think because they were exposed to more to start with.
It does pay off, keep working that menu!
Part of the credit does go to my dh and his mom. He was raised to eat what was in front of him..period. He never complains about what I make and has never refused to eat something or even expressed anything negative about a dish. It goes a long long way to have his backing in what I put on the table.