Tuesday, August 12, 2008

blueberry pie

So far this month I have not had any lobster, but I have made blueberry muffins, blueberry bread, and yesterday undertook the baking of my very first blueberry pie. The children practically inhale both the bread and muffins, but the 5 cups of blueberries enclosed in flaky pie crust were for my enjoyment alone. Every summer I wait anxiously for the first week of August when the fields are filled with backs bent low raking through the shrubbery. It appears to be exhausting work, I willingly skip the pick-your-own fields to buy a large box already winnowed and pack them up in the freezer to enjoy all summer.

This afternoon we are in town yet again, this time to visit the car dealership and visit the local diner that serves delicious soups on yet another rainy cool day. Will had been clambering all week for the opportunity to camp out in the tent, but at 4am was driven inside by drizzle. I can only be grateful that we have plenty to keep us occupied after I decided that the children were better served by starting school than staring out the window or playing computer games. Several acquaintances have related stories of vacationing friends who have been forced inside during their entire stay, not being able to swim, bike, sail, or hike due to the horrible weather. I am expecting that the sun will begin to shine again and the temperature to rise once the public schools officially begin, leaving the parks, beaches, and beauties of Maine for those of us unconstrained by the rigid schedule of such institutions.

No comments: