Thursday, May 29, 2008

I'm so angry I could spit

Yesterday I received in the mail the latest Catholic Heritage Curriculum catalogue. While I don't buy their lesson plans or workbooks, I have in the past ordered other books. Usually I can find suggestions for making homeschooling easier and inspirational stories in the quarterly catalogue. However, one of the quotes included was this one:

"Thank you for being here for us homeschoolers. I have always used CHC until this year (5th). I signed up for [Catholic packaged curriculum] with their counseling and turning in work. I paid a lot for it and it lasted a couple weeks before I got really frustrated and quit and lost all the money. I think [the program] is okay if your kids is at the learning level they think your child should be at (and you can sit daily without distractions to get the work done on time), but otherwise it is too much pressure to try to make my child the same as other children and pressure on my family to be on time with everything. I realized that this is why I homeschool, to adapt our year to our needs. Thank you so so so much for selling your curriculum without having to turn in work, etc. I can take your curriculum and adapt it to our needs without pressure. You also allow families that could not afford [the Catholic packaged program] to be able to have guidance and be able to homeschool... If it wasn't for CHC I believe I would have given up on homeschooling. God will reward you for your kindness in selling the curricula without making people enroll their children and turn in work... -Jennifer, New Jersey"


While it is perfectly acceptable to state why a company's program/books are deemed superior it was malicious of CHC to publish this letter. It is immediately obvious that the program being bashed is Seton Home Study School and the editor purposely left in all the parts that singled out this Catholic program. Why the mom felt overwhelmed and pressured by pieces of paper or didn't call the counselors I couldn't say, but I am upset with CHC for their unchristian conduct in publishing libel in their catalogue. I already called CHC and expressed my disappointment and have decided to find other sources for books and readers for our family.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a Seton user and no one is required to turn in papers or grades or even finish the books. But if you want a transcript, they will provide it for you but they need to know that the child does "know" the material. Their requirements are very minimal (If I must say so myself) Many other homeschool families I know that are with Charters have SO MANY requirements and have to continuosly provide samples, or meet weekly etc etc. A person doesn't even need to sign up for the Seton program, they can buy the books and the answer keys. I received my catalog today and I am equally upset.

I'm with you on this one!!

Laura
your pal from Ora

Michelle said...

Hmmm. I had to chuck that catalog when it came for lack of time.

Seton doesn't make you enroll. You are free to buy their products ans use them as you see fit.

I don't see why any Catholic curriculum supplier should feel the need to compete with any other. Every child, mother and family has different needs and preferences. It's good to have options.

island breezes said...

We have been able to adapt the Seton program to fit our 8 quite different students. We use the books for the lower grades and gradually (at different ages and speeds) the kids get to the highschool program, prepared to meet the requirements. If they take longer to finish in some subjects etc.. they do. No hassles from Seton. They've always been very helpful.