Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Thank goodness for Walmart

This morning I packed all the children in the car for another trip to attend a low Mass in Latin. (Here I am before we got into the car, notice the Mrs. Piggle Wiggle hat Barbara wanted to see)


I was just about to get off the highway when I heard, "I don't feel so good," from Charlie. Of course I didn't make it to a place to pull over before he got sick all over himself, the carseat, and the towel underneath. I stripped him down and tried to mop up the mess in the carseat, but it was just hopeless.

Fortunately for all of us I have a handy-dandy bin with extra wipes, diapers, and clothes for just such a circumstance. I said a silent prayer for the homeschooling mom who wrote about her emergency bin's supply list on her blog and inspired me to do likewise.

After cleaning everything up, dressing Charlie in new duds, and switching seats around we made it to Mass on time. After I dumped the nasty one into the dumpster, we swung by Wallyworld in the next town. Whatever bad things you may say about big box stores undercutting local stores and underpaying its workers, the big benefit is that you usually find what you need. This is the second carseat that Charlie has caused us to toss. Maybe I should keep a stash of doggy bags in the fancy cupholder so I don't have to buy him yet another.

I won't post a picture of what I looked like afterwards, I'll leave that to your imagination.

4 comments:

Karen said...

BTDT, but always wash the carseats. They're too expensive to be disposable, LOL.

kat said...

Well, I contemplated that, but it was already out of date-we bought it in Italy! I also would have had to let it drip all over the inside of my van for an hour, so I think the cost of a new one was worth it.

Goodwyf Allie said...

A neighbor just tossed a car seat for the same reason. . .and she had alterior motives too--it was really hard to move in and out and to buckle. I guess if you don't like your car seat, or know it's boarderlind, a good vomit attack is reason enough to toss it. I feel liberated. I'll know just what to do when it happens to me.

Love the hat! Great solution--my baby gets to play with my veil every Mass!

Barbara said...

Very nice Mrs. Piggle Wiggle!

Does Charlie get carsick? Peach did that on the way to Mass once, but I knew she wasn't carsick, so we had to turn around and go all the way home. Buy a couple of inexpensive towels the next time you're at Walmart and put one under his car seat amd over as much of the car seat cover as you can. I also keep a small blanket in the car and if anyone feels the slightest bit ill, it goes over their lap (barf in the blanket please!).