Saturday, March 22, 2008

love my hair, hate my hair

I have had so many bad haircuts in the past 35 years that a few years back I just quit going.

There was the time I was 7 and the lady at the beauty parlor tried her best to give me a Dorothy Hamill cut- I looked so much like a boy that my mother had to have a t shirt made that read 100% GIRL. There were the bad spiral perm, the red hair dye that stuck and I gave myself swimmer's ear trying to wash it out, and still ended up with pink hair for prom. There was the short wedge that made me look like a female golfer and the $100 haircut that made me look exactly as I had when I walked in the door. Finally I just gave up and grew it out long with bangs.

But the one consistency has been the color: golden blond, a far, far cry from my natural medium mouse brown. Several times I have tried to grow it out or dye it back, but I missed the youthfulness and sparkle the blond brought out and gave up. No more. After reading the book Growing Gray, What I Learned about Beauty, Sex, Work, Motherhood, Authenticity, and Everything Else That Really Matters a few weeks ago, I finally decided to go natural and a little shorter. I'm still not subjecting myself to the whims of a salon, but armed with a pair of scissors I layered the sides, hacked off 2" and bought some new styling products. My roots are about 3" long with some highlights, but I can no longer stand the expense, the fakery, the time it takes to attempt to look like I'm 22 when it is become increasingly obvious that I am approaching 40. (40? Yuck!) My hair needs to grow up.

Cheer me on my journey of exploration and discovery, 'cause I haven't seen my natural hair color since 1986.

3 comments:

Karen said...

I stopped paying someone to screw up my hair for me a long time ago. LOL I am going to be trying a new product I read about.. Color Oops (http://www.developlus.com/products/coloroops/index.html) which is supposed to remove hair color from your hair (darker, not lighter unfortunately). I have plenty of grey but growing it out is a hideous process and I usually give in to coloring it yet again.

Michelle said...

Yeah, I went blonde a few years ago and had to pay for the upkeep. I didn't mind paying a friend and former beautician $25 for highlights, but once we moved away, I was stuck doing them from a box at home. One of my 2007 resolutions was to go dye-free, and I've managed to remain that way. A chin length bobbed layer helped speed the process. I don't have too much gray, and last spring/summer I spent quite a bit of time in the sun which naturally gave me some nice highlights. It's these winter months that make it look so dull and blech.

Barbara said...

I just reserved this from the library -- thanks for the recommendation. I've just grown my gray out -- I have about a half inch of reddish brown left on the tips in the front, but other than that I'm all silver now -- at age 45!