Monday, March 03, 2008

actual and perceived reality

Last night I had a vivid dream in which one of the children spilled a box of gumballs across the living room floor. We cleaned them up, but found Timmy toddling with a piece of the candy in his mouth. In super slow-motion he tripped and fell onto his tummy with the gumball lodging itself in his windpipe. I saw him struggling and turning blue, at which point I suddenly awoke and shot blot upright in bed, "No!"

My mind could not escape the image of my precious baby dying in front of me so I closed my eyes and prayed, "Please, dear Lord, save my child, help me save my baby." In my imagination I wrapped my arms around his tummy and jerked upwards in time to see the imaginary gumball shoot across the room and roll under a chair. The reality of knowing that Timmy was sleeping soundly in his crib did not change my perception that he was in grave danger and needed to be rescued.

And so it is also the case when reading other mom's blogs. What is presented in a series of posts is not necessarily what is going on in that person's home and homeschool. Lately I have read more than a few blogs where everything is idyllic, the children are perfect angels who love to do math problems, chores are completed without grumbling or pay, they never buy kid's meals at fast food restaurants, the houses are constantly immaculate, and the mothers never raise their voice. Even Danielle Bean's blog throughout Lent has been exclusively syrupy sweet, "I love to snuggle my baby, isn't life grand?"

Now perhaps these folks do have Better Homes and Gardens homes and cheerful children who always do as they are told the FIRST time, but I doubt it. When I visit homeschoolers I notice that they too have toys all over the living room, that the art project from who knows when hasn't been cleaned up, and there are children squabbling in the backyard. My house is just about average in terms of organization of books and craft stuff, the floors have crumbs and goo despite sweeping and vacuuming daily, and there is always a huge pile of laundry to fold on my bed. My kids bicker and pick on each other, and I feel like I'm doing well if I don't tell them, "You are driving me to drink!" more than 3 times a day. (even though we don't have any booze in the house) I can't feed my family of 7 on $50 a week, posting arranged shots of my grocery haul and receipt totals. I don't think many of us can do most of these "super homeschool mom" stuff since posts about organizing, needing hired help, getting kids to do their chores, and simple exhaustion are the longest and most anguished discussions on bulletin boards. So, as you roam the internet, remember that what is perceived is not always reality and to keep gumballs out of your dreams.

7 comments:

Karen said...

Here, here! You've been to my house, LOL, but then I have never claimed to be a "giddy homeschooler". :) IMHO, it is people like that who profess such perfection that drive mothers like us to think we are unworthy, incapable, doing things wrong, etc. Once I finally realized this, I could sit back and relax and enjoy my children!

Elisheva Hannah Levin said...

Certainly life is not perfect at our homeschool, either. My blog posts are often just snapshots of what works best for us. One problem I have experienced with telling all, though, is that my homeschooler is 14 and I have to consider his feelings about how I post about him. This somewhat limits how much "all" I can "tell" on a publically posted blog. Usually, if I write about a leap or a triumph, you can gather that we have had many days of struggle, or incurable-endurable bargains on my part, to get to that grand day when I can post a happy tale about it.

By the way, I have not dusted in two weeks, there is cat hair on the living room coffee table, and the books underneath are (gasp!) completely disorganized. Often something just has to give--and for me it's dusting!

Renee said...

Ha! I have an art project someone glued to the paneling about 5 years ago. I am thinking I'll find it cute in ten more years or so.

My home school has degenerated into reading and math, anything else is just gravy. And that is fine with me.

My laundry is alive and holding me hostage. And I don't care.

yea, no idyllic stuff at my place, for certain. Nope.

Anonymous said...

LOL - I once wrote an identical post! We all crave for inspiration, and commiseration. I think the fact that some people use blogs to share their lives with their families really encourages this kind of self-editing.

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean - there are some blogs that I need to stop reading for a while because it gets to be over the top. When I blog, I try to present things realistically - the struggles and the triumphs together because that's my life. Sometimes I wonder if I complain too much.

MentalMom said...

The grass is always greener (or the house is always cleaner) across the fence, isn't it?
Women/mothers are competitive. What starts as "*MY baby walked at 6 months!! didn't yours?" and "Didn't Jane start reading at 3? Billy did!"
evolves into rosey blog posts and set up pictures.
I categorize mom blogs into three categories.
The nitty-gritty painfully (ans often hysterically) honest ones like: mom2my6pack.blogspot.com
The informative ones that are usually (not always) happy and rosey and make that families life seem idyllic but only because the blog author wants to share and inspire (often with family that questions their family size/school choices so she won't talk about the bad days), not to make herself look superior (I think this is where the vast majority of blogs fall)
and then the braggart. This is the woman who honestly believes her children and family ARE superior in every way and wants everyone to know and feels that she deserves all the pats on the back she can get. This person is the same way IRL, the one-upper. Her blog doesn't get much traffic except by insecure new mom's/homeschoolers who think that they want to be 'just like Mrs. Perfect' at least until they realize it is just a front, and there is no such thing Mrs. Perfect-Mom-Homeschooler-Chef-Laundress-Crafter etc.....

Marbel said...

Laughed over this post and the comments. There's a fine balance to be achieved between bragging and airing the dirty laundry (so to speak). Being real is good.

I'd guess that some of the folks who paint a picture of perfection are a bit on the insecure side and feel a need to prove that they are not only managing their homeschools well, but their homes and families too. There are people out there who believe that mothers of kids who go to school have cleaner houses, no laundry piles, and perfect children.