Monday, March 10, 2008

4 months and counting down...

Tim got his official orders Friday so the gears are starting to turn for our upcoming move. I am looking forward to being closer to relatives, having several options for attending a nearby TLM, and belonging to a Catholic homeschool group. There is a lot to do between now and our move date including finding a house, finishing up the school year, organizing, and packing. Likely we will do the same as we did last summer: move, unpack in record time, and hit the road for Maine. Hopefully the apartment will be completed by then, I think the heating system is being installed this week.

The kids are excited about moving, they like looking at pictures of houses on-line, saying, "Get that one."
"Well, that exact house might not be available by the time we go up to pick one out, but I'll keep your suggestion in mind."

I don't think the idea of packing up all their stuff and saying goodbye to their friends is as traumatic as it could be, we haven't really put down roots and they are focused on the final move in 3 years to the farm, "How old will I be when we get ponies and a dog?"

I have been asking the same question for the past 12 years, "How old will we be when we finally get to settle down and never move again?" Military life is hard but at least there is the pride of serving one's country, the little quiver in the throat when singing the National Anthem that makes it all worthwhile. My grandfather served our nation for over 25 years, my father fulfilled his payback time, leaving my mother to deliver her first child alone, and together Tim and I have done our bit. Whenever things get tough, including these days of him not coming home until 8pm most nights he says, "It could be worse; I could be deployed."

Pray with me for families who have loved ones deployed, on the battlefield, or on unaccompanied tours, all far from home.

2 comments:

Elisheva Hannah Levin said...

Wow. I did not realize that you have to move every year. We live near an Air 'Farce' base (as my Navy-man dh calls it), but generally people are here for about two years, and some officers are here even longer.

Thanks so much for your service to our country! (I know, your husband is literally the one serving, but so are you and in a big way, by moving without complaint and keeping the home fires burning).

kat said...

This year was an anomaly, usually tours are 2 or 3 years. Tim was doing "outservice" training this year so we will be at our next duty station for 3 years and then we will hit the big 20 year mark and call it quits.

But thanks! I needed the boost after this weekend.