Wednesday, February 20, 2008

appreciating dressmakers

Introducing Nikki, the American Girl doll Mary received from her fabulous Auntie Cheryl for Christmas. Last week Nikki was given several new pairs of shoes and a new nightie in honor of Mary's birthday, but still the girls were clamoring for more clothes for their dolls. So... despite the fact that I have only sewn clothes for myself that didn't involve zippers or buttons (leaving elastic waistband skirts and jumpers) I decided to attempt a dress. The fabric store had Simplicity patterns on sale this week for $1 and I bought several as well as elastic and lace. Why I began with this hard a pattern is beyond me, but after completing it I recovered enough to pull out some of the other envelopes to see what our next project will be.

"Perhaps a lovely and simple pair of pants?" I enquired.

"No, a tutu for Samantha," Maggie cried, "it is my turn!"

I'm going to need a LOT more practice runs before I can attempt sewing a leotard in stretch fabric for a 18" doll.

St. Anne, pray for me.

1 comment:

Barbara said...

Having experience sewing both doll clothes and little girl clothes, I can definitely say doll clothes are harder to make!