Saturday, January 05, 2008

talking or not talking

I recall when my first child was in utero I read every pregnancy book available cover to cover. It didn't matter that I had an ultrasound showing 1 little sac, I even read the book on twins, "just in case". So, when he finally arrived I naturally started reading What to Expect The First Year. As Will grew I became more concerned about the little boxes each month stating what an infant that age was supposed to be accomplishing. While my baby was a cheerful boy who slept through the night, sat up, and eventually crawled and walked, he didn't say any real words. In fact, I have in his baby book a list of 10 words he had said at the age of 2. Some of the words he had only said once, but since he followed directions, "Go get the ball," "Bring Mommy the block," "Clean your room," (just kidding on that last one) Tim was not at all concerned. But I was convinced that something was wrong and it didn't help that the Italian day care he went to once a week thought there was something wrong too. So, I signed him up for testing and speech therapy and finally before we came back to the states, at almost 3 years old, Will started jabbering and really hasn't stopped since. There wasn't anything wrong with him, he just talked late.

Now, I am afraid we are about to start the same emotional roller coaster again with baby Timmy, but this time I likely know more about child development (expressly the development of my brood) than the pediatrician. Timmy has a well-baby check on Monday, his first in a great many months since it fell through the cracks in the move, trip to Maine, and Mother's death. According to What to Expect The Toddler Years, he should be using 3 words, point to a desired object, build a tower of 4 blocks, walk up steps, take off his clothes, feed a doll, and identify items in a book by pointing. Well, he can't do any of those things and I know the pediatrician will ask about these or similar skills. While there is that remnant of fear that something could be wrong with him, I know that my happy, expressive boy is normal indeed. Normal in this house where his every need is anticipated by 4 children eager to make him comfortable. I remind myself not to compare his skills to other babies and to enjoy the peace, such as it is, because before I know it, he too will be whooping and hollering with the rest of them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I just found your blog while browsing to see who else was blogging in Va - love it! I'm a mother of 2 who is about to embark on our own homeschooling journey. I'll be back to visit soon.

Stina said...

I'm slowly learning this lesson for myself!