Wednesday, January 23, 2008

furiously writing

Not me, Will.

For the past 3 years I have coaxed this child to dictate book reports or write short paragraphs about his likes, activities, and adventures, only to hear agonizing groans every single time. This year has been especially disheartening because Seton lesson plans contain weekly writing assignments in English as well as a 4 paragraph book report in Reading. I did see glimmers of encouragement when Will wrote several letters to his auntie, even addressing the envelope correctly. But today! Today I was presented with a scrapbook, complete with a homemade cover, in which he is journaling his activities.

"I woke up early and played with timmy. I went into mary's room and got her flashlight and gave it to timmy and then saw daddy turn out the lights. So I did horse rides with them and then got out of bed. And I remebered my "days story" so I started righting."

Does this mean that the next writing assignment will be met with joyous accolades? I doubt it, but now I know he is capable of writing much more than I previously thought and I won't let his excuses wear me down quite so much.

1 comment:

Anna said...

Small success! That's wonderful!