Monday, December 31, 2007

last day of the year

I think 2006 needs to be crammed in a jar with a tight fitting lid, put up high on a shelf and never be opened again. Today seemed to sum up my past year. I cleaned up cat vomit off the carpet early this morning, since even Iams Digestive Care does not seem to eliminate the kitty's tummy issues. While we were doing school, the middle kids broke Mary's new dollhouse rocking chair (fixed now with a little wood glue), wrote on the door, and emptied several boxes of puzzle pieces on the floor. Later, when I went to the store I lost Charlie within minutes of walking in the door. I frantically flagged down an employee, "My 3 year old is missing!" He apparently decided to stroll to the other end of the store while I was distracted by the grapefruit display. Luckily, a nice cashier followed him on his trek and brought him back.

"Hey, don't forget all the good things that happened this year!" a little voice sings. Mary did make her First Holy Communion, Timmy did learn to walk, Charlie sort of learned to use the potty (we are back to bribing with chocolate chips, but it seems to be working), we had a great time up in Maine, and our house sold right before the housing market fell flat. We moved to a new place, free of ghosts of the past and we have settled into a routine of sorts. But in general, it has been a pretty tough year and I am glad it ends today.

May 2008 be a better year for all of us!

No comments: