Sunday, December 16, 2007

How homeschool friendly is Mike Huckabee?

While so far I am an undecided voter, I am following the 2008 presidential contests very closely. This past week Mike Huckabee has come out saying he should be the favorite among homeschoolers. I have read some quotes from homeschoolers saying, "We can trust him to do what is right."

Well...

I am very leery of this candidate, he doesn't seem to understand American feelings on immigration and another reason frankly, is his religion. He seems to think that as a Southern Baptist minister that he speaks for all Christians. Likely he thinks that all homeschoolers are evangelical types as well, not taking into account our wide diversity. I also question his support of homeschooling with his 1999 signing of a bill limiting freedom for parents in Arkansas.

The enactment of House Bill 1724 on April 5, 1999, gives Arkansas the unique distinction of becoming the first state in the nation to add restrictions to its existing home school law. ...the new law, among other things, establishes notification deadlines and imposes a 14-day waiting period before parents are allowed to withdraw their children from public school to begin home schooling mid-semester.

While I understand the legislators were up against the big bad public school union lobby, there is no excuse for the governor signing any legislation that restricts homeschooling to appease its foes. We have learned well over the past 40 years that liberals will use any means to further destroy the institutions that are pro-family and pro-morality in our country. They want to recreate our nation in their image and giving any ground only emboldens them. The liberals are like terrorists, any sign of weakness or capitulation gives them more strength and resolve. Huckabee should know this and if he is this weak on a simple issue like homeschooling, then what will he be like in international politics?

edited to add:
Here is a very well written and researched essay on the presidential candidates and their ideas about homeschooling.
Here is another article about Huckabee and reasons why I don't trust him one little bit.
Here is another article about Huckabee's endorsement by the NEA.

11 comments:

Michelle said...

Thanks for this info. I too am paying attention.

Elisheva Hannah Levin said...

Thanks for your comments here. I had heard that Huckabee had some issues with homeschooling, but not exactly what they were.

I admit that I have qualms about electing a Baptist minister as president, too. I do believe in the constitutional prohibition on religious tests, but I have qualms about fundamentalists for a number of reasons. And I wonder if such a person can remember that he is the leader of all Americans, not just fundamentalist Christians, and not just Christians, either.

Candy said...

You are right, noy all Christians are evangelical. And not all homeschoolers are conservative.

You had me until you painted liberals with such a harsh brush (terrorists!). I think homeschoolers of all types would line up shoulder to shoulder to preserve/gain our right to educate our children as we see fit.

COD said...

My new theory (as of this morning) is that Huckabee promised Michael Faris of HSDLA a Cabinet position in exchange for the early endorsement.

That alone is reason enough to not vote for Huckabee.

Shana said...

I hope you'll take a look at Ron Paul-
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/issues/homeschooling
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/homeschoolers
http://catholicsforronpaul.blogspot.com/

kat said...

What I meant by the liberal/terrorist thing was that both will take any sign of weakness and use it to their advantage. Take abortion, homosexual marriage, or any other intrusion of the government into our lives. If you agree to a flawed premise ONE time, they will then take that as fact and erode further your case the next time.

You and I may disagree over the issues themselves, but I must insist (having been a liberal once and skilled in their tactics) that reasoning with someone who wants to take away part of your freedom is like wrestling a pig in jello.

Headmistress, zookeeper said...

This is a good article and I really appreciate the specific information on his actions while in office as governor. But some of the comments are making me scratch my head.

COD, a rumor you just made up is a reason not to vote for somebody? That's kind of strange. Politics makes strange bedfellows, and there are endorsements of just about every candidate from groups or individuals with whom I hold nothing in common. shrug.

I don't have an more qualms about voting for a Baptist Minister than I would voting for a Rabbi, which is to say that these things alone would be irrelevant to my vote. As the daughter and sister of conservative ministers (not Baptist), I have known lots of preachers, and I see no reason to question somebody's ability to understand the difference between being President and being Pastor just on the basis that they've been ordained. Plugging those things as a reason to vote for the candidate gives me pause.

I am not at all sure that Huckabee is my man, and I'm glad to see homeschoolers speaking up hither and thither to point out that we are individuals.

Crimson Wife said...

I'm frankly a little disgusted by the playing of the religion card regarding both Huckabee and Romney. While I've got theological differences with both Mormonism and the Baptist denomination, they aren't relevant to my choice for president. So long as politicians act consistently with whatever faith they say they are, I don't care what religion that is. Now Rudy Giuliani claiming to be Catholic but being married 3 times and holding pro-abortion and pro-homosexual positions, *that* is a reason to vote against him.

Shaun said...

Goodness, I am a liberal! How do I find out about the training for these tactics that we all use? I have never received any, and as a result I am falling greatly short in my freedom-stealing efforts. ;)

Another Catholic Homeschooler

Anonymous said...

I am not Catholic, however I was homeschooled some myself. I am married and have no children yet. However,I would not want to wait
for a certain amount of time to pass to homeschool my children whenever I do have them. Good grief, whatever happened to parents being able to educate thier own children without the governments input on it? I am against abortion,against people defined as a family when they are homoosexuals,against illegal immigrants having all the benefits of government help with education while the citizens lack help with this,against illegals having jobs that the citizens deserve,against enthuensia,for the second amendment right to have a weapon-a gun-to defend one self from a person trying to kill them,against criminals being realized from jail,and prison,and I love reading the Bible,memorizing verses from it,attending church,praying to God,the one and only Living God-Jesus Christ,and I am thankful for my husband,mom, dad, brother, dog, hermit crabs,car,house,food,friends, pastor,etc. Thankful for your info on Mike Huckabee since I am trying to find out more info about him. I am a born again,redeemed,forgiven,saved,and true Christian. Jesus is my Lord and personal Savior! He is in my heart and he loves me! He loves you! He died on the cross for all people,was buried, and rose from the dead on Easter Sunday! He did this because of his love for all people even though we all sin-do bad things that displease God. He wants anyone who is lost without him to accept him as thier Lord and Savior! John 10:9 "I am the door, if any man enter in he shall be saved..."

Rebecca Mecomber said...

GREAT post. I don't trust Huckabee one bit. I fear we Christians may be "Jimmy Cartered" into another "Christian" candidate who is only a wolf in sheep's clothing.

I am supporting Ron Paul. He is the only candidate I know who has a consistently moral, constitutional, and family-friendly platform. My husband is so excited about him that he even bought some yard signs and contributed to his campaign!