Saturday, November 24, 2007

gifts from the grave

Last week a large package arrived from Virginia with the girl's names on the front. We tore open the brown paper to find two items, a very large doll and a small stable complete with 4 horses. A note from my stepfather said that he had found these while cleaning out Mother's things and as soon as he saw them he knew that she had bought them for the girl's birthdays before she was diagnosed and got sick.

Mary is my horse-crazy girl and has slept, played, and eaten with the horses constantly since they were unwrapped. Maggie is no less enamoured of her present, an enormous Groovy Girl doll which stands at the same height as the 5 year old and can wear her clothes. Maggie insists that Sally, the doll, change into jammies every evening and a tshirt with corduroy overalls in the morning. "I already get two little boys dressed and nag the rest of y'all to get dressed every day, not to mention telling all of you 800 times to brush your teeth and hair and make your beds. Why should I have to get someone else dressed too?"

However, Sally doesn't fuss or run away, she just lies there and smiles. I think these were the perfect gifts and it makes me glad that they will help the girls continue to have fond memories of their Grammie.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember a few years ago - I was working at an elementary school and had a collection of stuffed pigs (all named Marshmallow). He has bought a very fluffy stuffed pig at some point and put in his dresser - and I found it when I was cleaning and donating. It was a very clear reminder that he had been thinking about me.

FosterAbba said...

For years, my grandfather bought me subscriptions to several magazines as a yearly holiday gift.

About six months after he passed away, I got a notice in the mail that one of those gift subscriptions had been renewed.

I was both sad, surprised and pleased to get a gift from "beyond the grave." It made me think that somehow my grandfather was still with me, and that maybe he had the chance to meet his new granddaughter after all.

Barbara said...

I'm happy for your girls. What special gifts those will continue to be.