Tuesday, October 23, 2007

last night at supper...

During the usual discussion of how school went I have recently started mentioning what writing assignments the children completed each day.

Me: "Will wrote middle sentences about a priest who worked with the lepers."
Maggie (interrupting): "I remember when we had leprechauns in preschool once. They knocked down all the chairs and tables."
Me: "There is a slight difference between lepers and leprechauns, dear."
Will: "That didn't REALLY happen, there are no such thing... are there?"
Maggie (very indignantly): "I'm thinking about it right now. So it IS true!"

Tim and I looked at each other and tears started coming out our eyes we were trying not to break out laughing.

A 4 year old's logic seems to be similar to talking heads on the TV, "I'm thinking about it, so it MUST be true."

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Two Sundays ago, the Gospel was about Jesus curing the lepers. My 6 year old, later on, was talking about the leprechans helped by Jesus. Since our parish has a children's liturgy where the 3 to 6 year olds go off to hear the Word, Bill and I were really baffled about what was being taught...until my oldest son corrected her and said they were lepers, not leprechans. Happy that my 9 year old actually listened to the Gospel!