Monday, July 09, 2007

our neighbors thing we're crazy...

but the kids begged and pleaded so I relented and gave permission. Will started a fire in our wood stove this afternoon and the little pyromaniac has kept it stoked for several hours now.
I'm sure the sight of smoke emerging from our chimney, even on this cool and rainy 60 degree day is the talk of the neighborhood. Can you imagine the conversation around the dinner table? "Did ya see, those people from away got a fire (pronounced: fir) going in the middle of July. Bet they wouldn't last through one winter." I have had to wear my flannel jammies and socks to bed the last few nights, but I simply refuse to close the windows in the summer, so, yes it is true that we have a fire blazing heating all of the great outdoors.
Will and Mary had their first day of camp today, but when they complained about the weather on the way home, I used a quote I have heard all my life and got to say to my own children for the very first time, "That which does not kill us, makes us stronger," otherwise known as, "suck it up kid, that's the way it goes."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We've been complaining about the weather here, too...except we're complaining about it being 83 degrees at 9 in the morning, with a predicted high of 96 with 80% humidity!