Wednesday, April 18, 2007

how appropriate!

You Belong in Rome

You're a big city soul with a small town heart
Which is why you're attracted to the romance of Rome
Strolling down picture perfect streets, cappuccino in hand
And gorgeous Italian people - could life get any better?
The two things that struck me most in Italy were the fantastic food and how much they adore babies and pregnant women. Will was 8 weeks old when we first moved to Naples and from the first moment he was fawned over like a exquisite jewel. Grandmothers would ask all the pertinent questions and exclaim, Bello! Bello bambino! Nomine Wheelllliam?" while grandfatherly types would inquire if I was nursing and exclaim in gestured Italian how wonderful it was that I was such a good mother. I learned quickly how to translate all the baby type questions such as How old? Was he born in Italy? Is he our first and do we plan to have more babies? (wouldn't they be shocked now!) and be able to answer them all in rudimentary Italian.
While the money I paid to take a class in Italian was basically wasted due to my laziness and absolute inability to learn foreign languages; I did pick up one very useful phrase that came in handy during our tour, "Sono incenta, il bano, per favore" (I am pregnant, where is the bathroom please). While ordinary folks must buy something in a coffee bar to gain access to the restroom (and there are no other options in most towns) expecting mothers are treated like royalty and are given carte blanc admittance to use any facilities in town.
All this reminiscing about Bella Napoli gives me a craving for a large bowl of pasta, a few olives and perhaps a large helping of tiramisu.

No comments: