Friday, December 08, 2006

Raising Citizens, not Consumers

I have written about this before, how grateful I am that our children have not been sucked into the materialistic culture, mostly by our not having a TV. Tim and I also try to emphasize that "things" are not important and how living simply brings us closer to God. We haven't bothered giving the kids an allowance, but do pay them for extra chores like vaccuming out the van. So these few bucks might get spent at the Dollar store for a plastic gun, but usually it just languishes in their piggy banks.
Children under 14 influenced as much as 47 per cent of American household spending in 2005, amounting to more than $700 billion, marketing consultant James McNeal estimates. That figure is made up of $40 billion of children's own spending power, $340 billion in direct influence ("I want a Dell") and $340 billion in indirect influence ("I know little Timmy would prefer us to buy the Lexus"). "The parents have ceded control. Children are making decisions about most household products," says McNeal. Companies have discovered that it is often more effective to recruit a child as an in-home marketer than to try to convince a parent to buy their products. Advertisers are lining up to buy time on Nickelodian, a children's TV channel. Hummerkids.com offers games and colouring pages to teach children about the joys of owning a colossal sport-utility vehicle. ~ The Economist, November 30
At first I laughed at the thought of the kids asking me for specific purchases. Will and Mary got the idea yesterday of writing Christmas lists. Mary went through the dictionary and came up with 15 items, including a puppy, fish, and a turtle (all her items were spelled correctly, I might add). Will's paper was titled: "Wat I want for Cristmas: 1. a gun 2: a cell fone 3. butse" (boots).
Their Christmas gifts are already purchased, and let me say now, there will be no animals, guns, or electronic devices under the tree.

No comments: