Saturday, December 30, 2006

Charlotte's Web

I don't take the kids to movies very often, in fact, I don't go to movies very often myself (2 in the last 2 years). However, when my mother suggested we take several of the big kids to go see Charlotte's Web I agreed. (Boy, ticket prices are really through the roof! It was over $30 for 5 matinee tickets alone)

I really liked this movie. It was very close to the book (which in my eyes is a good thing) and the Maine scenery was breathtaking. The state really is full of hills and fields in soothing greens in the summer and brilliant oranges, yellows, and reds in the fall which is one of the reasons why we like to spend lots of time there. The story was funny, full of puns and jokes and then heart-tugging when poor Charlotte (with the voice of Julia Roberts, I believe) dies. My first reaction when the lights went up was, "Well done!" I highly recommend it to the 4 year old and up crowd in your family.

However, the preview for Bridge to Teribithia was horrid, full of scary fairies, a terrifying living tree, and magic castles. It is a far cry from the story of a innocent friendship and adventure that I read and loved as a child. My mother kept looking at me during the trailer plaintively saying, "What have they done!"

No comments: