Tuesday, November 14, 2006

What do they do all day?

Maggie, my 4 year old goes to preschool two mornings a week. I figure that it gives me a little more quiet time with the older ones and it gives her a chance to learn songs. You see, my kids hate my singing. They all ask me to stop everytime I try to teach them Twinkle Twinkle Little Star or Little Red Caboose. I'm so bad that I was politely asked to leave 6th grade chorus class, "you might be happier working in the library or taking art." I know it was really because the chorus concert was coming up and they did not want me ruining it. Maggie is actually a pretty good singer, at least she can enthusiastically belt out: "Oh, when the leaves start falling down, oh, when the leaves start falling down. Oh, you know it must be autumn, when the leaves start falling down." (to the tune of "When the saints go marching in")
Every week the children in the class are asked to bring an object for the letter they are working on. It really is an exercise for the parents, and some really get into making sure their kid brings something no one else would think of. (I am one of those parents) Maggie got brownie points for E day, she brought in an large, purple, shiny eggplant. Today was H day so I asked Maggie if she wanted to bring a horse or a hammer. When we picked her up a few hours later I asked, "what did everyone else bring?" No response. "What did you do today?" No response. The only time I got an answer is when I asked about snack.
The older two children did the same thing when they went to preschool years before. The only way I knew they did any activities was the plethra of art projects that were sent home in their backpacks. I assume this clamming up about what happened during the school day would continue if they went to public or private school. So, really I have no choice but to homeschool them. I want to know what they are doing all day, other than what they ate for lunch.

No comments: